As you probably know, working in the construction field is one of the most hands-on and dangerous jobs there is. Since there is so much risk of injury involved in your work, it’s vital that you take all necessary precautions when you’re out on the site. It might be a hassle to constantly think about these things on a daily basis, but it could save you an arm, or even your life.
Construction Accidents and OSHA
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) law requires employers to provide a work place that is safe and free from hazards. Nevertheless, construction workers face dangers that threaten their health and lives, everyday.
According to OSHA, each year:
- 1000 workers die in construction related accidents
- A quarter of a million workers suffer injuries resulting in lost work days
- Construction accidents cost the construction industry $13 billion in workers compensation cost alone
OSHA statistics also show that 90% of construction deaths occur in four categories:
- Struck by objects
- Caught between objects
OSHA’s statistics are not unlike the unfortunate findings of The U.S. Department of Labor, which estimates that more than 150,000 construction-related injury accidents happen every year.
All in all, these are accidents, and they’re preventable to a significant degree, with proper safety precautions:
- Take advantage of training programs given by your employer or union
- Be conscious of safety rules and regulations at all times
- Know your equipment and use it correctly. If you’ve forgot how to use a feature, simply ask an experienced fellow worker.
- Wear and use the right protective gear at all times.
- Be sure to crib, block and secure all loads as soon as you can.
- Always use proper barriers and guards.
- Study OSHA regulations closely, and report unsafe work conditions.
- Refuse to work in any unsafe conditions.
If you’ve been injured in a construction accident, don’t hesitate to contact the law offices of personal injury attorney, Bruce A. Hagen. We are premier personal injury and construction injury attorneys in Atlanta. Contact us now for your free consultation!