Pedestrians need to check their surroundings regardless of right of way
There are many different types of travelers sharing the busy Atlanta roads: motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians, for example. While everyone has the responsibility to be aware of their surroundings—and not walk straight into things while staring at their phones, for example—those who are in bigger, more dangerous vehicles have more of a responsibility than bicyclists or pedestrians.
Pedestrians usually have the right of way. So when a motorist hits a pedestrian, it’s most likely the motorist’s fault. The injuries that result from such collisions can be significant.
What are some of the Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Over the years, at Hagen Rosskopf, we have seen a lot of pedestrian accidents. The most common reasons motorists hit pedestrians are:
- Distracted driving
- Intoxicated driving
- Running a red light, hitting a pedestrian on the crosswalk
- Drivers turning right through crosswalks, not looking for pedestrians
- Illegally parked vehicles making it difficult for other drivers to see pedestrians.
What Should I Do if I’ve Been Hit as a Pedestrian?
Whenever you’ve been involved in an accident, the best thing to do is to get as much information as you can. Talk to any witnesses who saw the accident occur. If the driver has stopped, get their insurance information, license plate number, and driver’s license number. Contact the police and make a report. Go see a physician, even if you don’t feel injured. In many cases, injuries don’t become painful until later.
The next thing you want to do is contact a personal injury attorney. You want to speak to an attorney before you speak to any insurance representatives, even your own.
Wrongful Death of a Pedestrian
Why Should I Hire a Lawyer for a Pedestrian Accident?
There are plenty of reasons to hire an attorney when you have been involved in a pedestrian accident. You won’t necessarily get the settlement you are entitled to without one. Here are three other reasons:
- A pedestrian accident attorney will make a case on your behalf. Insurance companies may state that you are at fault, particularly if you were jaywalking. A professional pedestrian accident lawyer will be able to determine fault, making a case on your behalf.
- An attorney will represent you in court. Should you need to go to court, an attorney will represent you to a jury or a judge. This way, you will have the best chance of receiving the settlement you deserve.
- Your injury may prevent you from focusing on legal issues. If you’ve been seriously injured—which frequently happens with pedestrian injuries—you may be unable to focus on legal matters. An attorney will be able to help you with this.
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, you need to call a lawyer immediately. Contact us today, and let us help you get the settlement you deserve.